Category : blog
A woman is born with all the eggs she is going to have in her lifetime. The age of women eggs gets decrease with her increased age. This is the reason that age is an important factor which affects women fertility. According to the study, good health of the women can improve the chance of her to get pregnant and having a healthy baby, however, it does not override the effects of age on the woman’s fertility.
Earlier the women who are in their early to mid-20s have around 65 to 75% of chances of getting pregnant every month but now with the change in scenarios women are busy with their careers, prefer late marriages etc. due to which they start planning the baby in their mid-30’s where generally women fertility starts declining and the decline speeds up after the age of 35. By age 40, the chance of women to get pregnant in any monthly cycle is dipped down to around 20 to 25%.
Generally, people have a misconception that IVF treatment can overcome age-related infertility in women; however, the increased age of women also affects chances of success with IVF. It has been found that the chance of a live birth resulting from one IVF cycle for women of different ages varies from each other. At Fertility Center Nepal, we have fertility experts who make the pregnancy possible for the women above the age of 40 years in one IVF cycle and there are some women who are under the age of 35 have gone through more than 2 IVF cycles to achieve the pregnancy.
The fertility experts at Fertility Center Nepal advice the older women to use the donated eggs from young, healthy and fertile women to increase her chances of pregnancy.
How long it takes a woman to get pregnant depending on her age?
The study says that 8 out of 10 of couples where the women are under the age of 40 years will get pregnant naturally within a year of having regular unprotected sex for every 2 to 3 days.
It has been found that the couples who are having regular unprotected sex:
- Around 7 out of 10 women at the age of 30 years will conceive a baby within one year.
- Around 5 out of 10 women at the age of 35 years will conceive a baby within one year.
- Around 3 out of 10 women at the age of 40 years will conceive a baby within one year.
The fertility experts at Fertility Center Nepal says that there are several other causes for fertility problems, but sometimes we are unable to find the exact cause and this is known as unexplained infertility. Unexplained infertility is rare when the woman is in her 20s but becomes the most common cause of infertility in women over 35 years of age.
At Fertility Center Nepal we have treatments like IVF (in vitro fertilization) which help the women who are facing difficulties in conceiving a baby. It is important for you to meet your gynecologist if you haven’t conceived after a year of trying or within six months of trying to conceive if you are over 36 years.
If you are dealing with any other health concerns related to your fertility for e.g. endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or thyroid problems, etc. then you should consult your doctor at an early stage when you found the symptoms.
It is important to know for everyone that age is not the only thing that affects your fertility, other things like smoking, alcohol, use of other drugs, obesity and sexually transmitted diseases, etc. can also impact your ability to get pregnant.
If you are not ready in your mid-20’s to conceive a baby and thinking about having a baby later in your life then try not to get too stressed as it impacts the age of your fertility.
What if the male partner is older?
According to the study, men’s age also affects the ability to have a baby as it declines with age, but not as much as women’s.
It has been found that it becomes difficult to get pregnant for a woman if the age of the male partner is above 40 and female age is also over 40 years.
Other reasons why older men may have less chance of pregnancy are as follows:
- Poor quality or low quality of sperm
- Abnormal shape of sperm
- The lower level of male sex hormones
- Less interest in sex
How does the age of women affect pregnancy?
It has been found that most women over the ideal age of childbearing have healthy pregnancies and babies; however, complications in pregnancy such as miscarriage also increase with their increased age.
The rate of miscarriage occurs in women around:
- 1 out of 10 pregnancies in women younger than the age of 30 years.
- 2 out of 10 pregnancies in women between the age group of 35 to 39.
- 4 out of 10 pregnancies in women older than the age of 45 years.
Women who are over the age of 40 years are at higher risk of problems in pregnancy which includes the following:
- Diabetes and high blood pressure
- Having twins or more create complications
- Cesarean section or longer labor pain
- Baby with Down’s syndrome
- Pre-eclampsia this is a very dangerous condition for baby and mother both.
What women do to make her healthy late pregnancy?
The following are the things that you should keep in your mind before you plan to have a baby and these are:
- Maintain your ideal body weight and it should not be more or less than your body mass index (BMI).
- Stop smoking
- Do regular physical activities
- Eat a healthy and proper diet
- Take folic acid for at least 2 months before conception
- Reduce the intake of caffeine
- Avoid alcohol or illegal drugs
- Speak to your fertility expert about any existing medical problem
- Get your sexually transmitted disease checked
- Get your cervical screening within three years